I woke up this morning ravenously hungry and a little light-headed. A couple of days of not eating properly, or eating too lightly, and I’m a mess, dizzy, unable to concentrate and just generally useless.
So for lunch today I went for a bastardised, not-sticking-to-the-recipe version of beef stroganoff, heavy and rib-sticking, perfect for a hot summer’s day (just jokin’). Just what I needed.
If I’d been less in a rush, I might have taken a moment to lightly steam some broccoli to have on the side, but as it was, well, I couldn’t be bothered. There’s always dinner tonight to eat the rest of my five a day…
Lunch-time rush beef stroganoff
A couple of pieces of steak, thinly sliced
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 small tub of sour cream
pasta – I used pappardelle
salt & pepper
- Bring a pot of water to the boil, then add salt.
- Heat a heavy based frying pan till hot. Melt a knob of butter in it with a drop of oil until frothy.
- Add steak strips and sear quickly. Remove to a plate.
- Add a little more butter and saute onions till soft and a little burnt in places (adds great flavour).
- Add pasta to water and cook according to instructions.
- Drain pasta and toss in a little olive oil.
- Add steak to onions and mix, then add the sour cream and stir together. Season generously.
- Simmer onions and meat very gently for a couple of minutes, then serve up next to a big steaming pile of delicious carbs. Don’t forget a few spoonfuls of sauce!
- Devour. Remain, satiated, in a carb-protein haze for the rest of the afternoon.